Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The English Language Blows

So my book got handed off from what I'm calling my "in-depth" editor to a copy-editor. My wife and two other editors have scoured my manuscript for grammatical errors and so you'd think I'd be sitting pretty, but noooo! Or is it "no-ooo"? Or just "NO"?

This new editor is finding issues on every page! Small stuff, mostly, but come on!

I was born in the United States, write for a living, and have lived for 36 years. Why can't I master this language?

The English must have had a lot of time on their hands and been really anal-retentive to come up with so many rules. I can see why Roger Waters didn't "want no education". Cripes!

Anyway, thanks to Jessica for being so thorough. It's like she has x-ray vision. Soon my book will be sparkly clean and, furthermore, will comply with the Chicago Manual of Style. Does every city have their own version of English? Did we just pick a city in the middle to split the difference?

Everyday is science fiction.

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment